Ph.D. 2002 University of South Florida, Tampa, FL. 33620 - Second Language Acquisition & Instructional Technology. Dissertation: Animated Grammar: Dual Coding German Syntax.
Ph.D. 1992 (ABD) Washington University, St. Louis, MO. 63105 - German Language & Literature. Qualifying paper: Theatrical Directives of Bertolt Brecht.
M.A. 1989 Washington University, St. Louis, MO. 63105 - German Language & Literature.
B.A. 1979 University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO. 80639 - Theater Arts - Technical.
Zertifikat Deutsch als Fremdsprache 1989 Universität Köln (Cologne), Germany.
1999 Goethe Institute, Fortbildungsseminar "Computer im Unterricht" Cologne, Germany.
1986 Goethe Institute, Mittelstufe III, Freiburg, Germany.
EMT 1983 University of Texas, Dallas, TX (licensed Emergency Medical Technician).
1975 Horton Watkins High School diploma, St. Louis, MO.
|German||English as a Second Language (ESL)|
ESL Instructor, 8/08, Stanford University (http://www.stanford.edu/group/efs/687.html)
- Summer program for top college students from Taiwan and Japan.
English Instructor, 1/08 - Present - Global LT (Corporate relocation agency) Silicon Valley.
- ESL Instructor - Curriculum planner, teaching intermediate and advanced grammar and conversation
German Instructor. 8/05 - Present - German School of Fremont, Fremont, CA.
- Teaching adult beginner class and intermediate and advanced private lessons
- Instructional software design and developement - WebGerman.com and EnglishInteractive.net
Private Language Tutor (English and German), 8/05 – present
Various (International) students (Korea, Hong Kong, Indonesia, US, Columbia)
• Teaching intensive Local-ESL and standard Distance-EFL.
• Writing English Curriculum for online, mentor-based EFL course
Various (American) students
• Teaching beginning and intermediate German
Online English Writing Tutor/Editor
• Providing editing and instructional assistance for high level research reporting
(e.g. genetics, database engineering, medicine, etc.)
Translator (German to English). 2008. Dynavax Corporation San Jose, CA.
German Instructor (Online), 6/07 – 6/08, AMDG, Atlanta, GA
- Beginning German 1-4 for middle school students in rural West Virginia
Curriculum Writer (English). 2/07 – 6/07, Batiq (Yaloo, Corp.) San Francisco, CA.
- Member of English curriculum writing team working on a unique architecture for online course delivery, featuring intensely interactive functionality, real-time mentoring, and research-grounded instructional design.
Editor of The Forum, biannual journal of Phi Sigma Iota International Foreign Language Honor Society. 1/01 - 12/05
- Developer of the Society's website and electronic Advisor resources (phisigmaiota.org).
Adjunct Professor of German. 8/04 – 5/05, Webster University, Dept. of International Languages and Cultures. St. Louis, MO.
- Intensive German - levels 1 and 2
Assistant Professor of German. 8/02 - 8/04, University of Tennessee-Martin Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages. Martin, TN. - Director of the German program.
- Teaching all levels of German. (Sample syllabi available)
- Editor and Webmaster - The Forum - Biannual magazine of Phi Sigma Iota - International Foreign Language Honor Society.
- German Club Faculty Advisor - (German Internet Chatroom Leader)
- Creator of Webgerman.com - A Web-based Center for Language Learning and Teaching with the Internet. (Deutsch im Netz)
- Curator and Manager of German Online Interactive and of Foreign Language Resources website directories.
- Organized the 17th (2003) Foreign Language Teachers' Conference of the West Tennessee Foreign Language Education Consortium.
- Organized the 2003 UTM Spring Foreign Language Film Series.
- Faculty Mentor in the University Scholars Program.
University of South Florida 8/95 - 8/02, Tampa, FL. - German Instructor - Ph.D. candidate - Second Language Acquisition and Instructional Technology.
- German I through IV and German for Reading at the Univ. of So. Florida.
Instructor - ESL - Culture, Writing Skills and TOEFL Prep. at the English Language Institute, Tampa, FL.
Webmaster for Online Interactive Language Learning Pages.
Designer and Webmaster for University Departmental Internet pages and the (former) Phi Sigma Iota International Website.
Member of dept. of World Language Education (WLE) Sub-Committee for Lower Division Curriculum.
Member Of WLE Sub-Committee for Technology Integration.
- Dissertation Topic: Animated Grammar: The Effects of Animated Textual Instruction on Learners' Written Production of German Modal Verb Sentences. (2002). Sample
- German TA and Adjunct Coordinator - Division of Language and Literature - USF
- Editor - The Forum - Biannual newsletter of Phi Sigma Iota - International Foreign Language Honor Society.
- President - Beta Zeta Chapter of Phi Sigma Iota.
- Creator of Deutsch im Netz Internet Website for learning German on the Web.
- Curator of German Online Interactive and of Foreign Language Resources.
- Instructional design, authoring, graphic design for multimedia software specializing in foreign language instruction. Sample
- Author of extensive Animated Grammar series available online. Also available in static form: Grammatisch gesehen
- Course Design in Language Lab Design
- Course Design of German Lecture Series for CALPS (cognitive academic language proficiency skills).
- Curriculum design specialist - child, adolescent and adult second language acquisition.
- Faculty advisor for the USF German Club and the USF Rowing Club.
M.A. - Washington University Dept. of Germanic Language and Literature. 8/86 - 6/92 St. Louis, MO -Ph.D. Candidate/Teaching Asst. - German Instructor. Masters plus two years doctoral work. Dossier on file.
- Instructor - German I drill, intermediate and advanced German for reading, German Play production.
- President of German Club (Wrote articles of constitution).
- Directed theatrical productions in German (Walser, Frisch).
- Studied German Drama, Theater of the Weimar Republic, Fin de Siécle Literature, Germanic Phonetics, Middle High German, Old English, contemporary German dialects and diachronic linguistics, Brecht, Schnitzler, Kleist, Keller, Döblin, Süsskind, DDR and contemporary literature.
- Professional tutoring and translation through departmental recommendation and through recommendation of the Goethe Institute.
- Four years Teaching Assistantship and University Scholarship.
- University Study Abroad Scholarship.
The Effects of Animated Instruction
Diachronic Linguistics: Sound Shifts and Cognate Recognition
Blackboard: Teacher Empowerment for Student Success
Deutsch im Netz
Foreign Language Resources
German Online Interactive
Foreign Language Banners for use on Blackboard course sites
Phi Sigma Iota International Foreign Language Honor Society (2000-2007)
AAAL American Association of Applied Linguists
AATG American Association of Teachers of German
ACTFL American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages
CALICO Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium
CATESOL California Teachers of English to Students of Other Languages
FATG Florida Chapter of the AATG
FFLA Florida Chapter of the ACTFL
IALL International Association of Language Learning Labs
ISLS International Society for Language Studies
MLA Modern Language Association
SCFLL Southeast Conference on Foreign Languages and Literatures
SEALL Southeast Association for Language Learning Technology
TESOL Teachers of English to Students of Other Languages
TFLTA Tennessee Foreign Language Teachers Association
USPS United States Power Squadron
Honor Society Memberships
Phi Sigma Iota International Foreign Language Honor Society (President Zeta Beta Chapter 1996-2001) Lifetime Member, Editor of the bi-annual journal, The Forum, Webmaster of the society's homepage.
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society of Academic Excellence
Grants and Awards
Goethe Institut Stipendium für Fortbildungsseminar "Europe in Berlin" 2005
Goethe Institut Stipendium für Fortbildungsseminar "Computer im Unterricht" 1999
University of South Florida Provost's Award for Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Student 1998
University of South Florida Graduate Assistantship 1995-2000
Washington University Scholarship and Teaching Assistantship 1988-1992
Washington University Study Abroad Scholarship, University of Cologne 1989-90
Advanced Seminar "Europe" Goethe-Institut Berlin, Germany, June 20 - July 2.
Beginning and Intermediate Macromedia Dreamweaver - UTM Instructional Technology Center
Beginning and Intermediate Macromedia Flash - UTM ITC
Beginning and Intermediate Adobe Acrobat - UTM ITC
Seminar in Grant Writing (day-long) - UTM
Seminar in New Research for New Media (3-day) - University of Minnesota
2008 Translator (German to English corporate legal documents). Dynavax Corporation San Jose, CA.
2006 Traveled to Germany (Munich) to research the subject of Notgeld.
2005 Traveled through Eastern Germany (Dresden, Berlin, Leipzig, Weimar, etc.) developing German language teaching materials
2004-5 Taught English as a second language (ESL) for the Crown Senior Center, St. Louis, MO.
2003 Traveled to Technische Universität-Braunschweig to establish a series of exchange programs between TU-B and UTM
2001 Taught ESL for the English Language Institute, Tampa, FL. Level three composition and TOEFL skills.
2001 Translation of legal, medical and technical documents for co.don biomedical corporation.
2001 Planned and implemented custom curriculum for families of mixed ages.
2000 Taught Spoken German, a Lifelong Learning course at USF continuing education.
2000 Translated legal contracts for Citicorp, Global Division.
1999 Translated private collection of historical letters.
1998 Studied French at the Boston Language Institute
1998 Planned and implemented custom curriculum for families of mixed ages.
1997-Translation for Danka Industries product conference marketing script: English > German
1986-present Freelance Translation for private clients and TCs. Projects include paleontology notes, medical data, genealogy and personal data certificates (birth, death,marriage etc.).
1991-present German Instructor - private students and tutorials, implementing custom designed coursework.
1992 German Instructor at the Foreign Language Institute of the Forsythe School, St. Louis, MO.
1991-92 German Instructor - 2 sections. German 106 - Advanced reading (and translation) for graduate students (in disciplines other than German). Washington University.
1991Translation legal documents for private client concerning custody dispute.
1989-91 German Drill instructor German 101, 102 Washington University, St. Louis,MO.
1979-90 Total of 20 months living in Germany. (Ruhr Gebiet, Bayern, & Baden-Wurtemburg).
1989-90 Attended University of Cologne, Germany (including Oberseminare in Germanistik).
1989 Interpreter for Harbour Production Co. and ATF Production Co. Dorsten, Germany. (Two American entertainment troupes stationed in Traumland Park,Kirchellen, Germany).
1988 Translation: "Die Wahre Geschichte des Ah Q", a play by Heinrich Heine.
1986 Completed Mittelstufe III at the Goethe Institute, Freiburg im Br., Germany.
1979 Studied Germanistik at Bayreuth Universität, Bayreuth, Germany.
|Languages||English-native, German-fluent (superior), French, Dutch and Serbo-Croatian-novice (low intermediate).|
|Software||Windows XP, MS Office XP: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Visual Basic; Adobe: InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Acrobat 7; Macromedia MX: Flash, Dreamweaver, Authorware; PaintShopPro, Hyperstudio, HTTP, FTP, Total Recorder, Scanning Software and more.|
|General: Computers (Software Localization, Telecommunications),Journalism, Literary, Business (Marketing/Advertising), Medicine (general), Biomedical, Genetics, Database Engineering, Steel Manufacturing, Paleontology, Theater Arts. Aviation (Ballooning), Political Science, Natural Science, Agriculture, German Dialects|
|Additional Skills||Desktop Publishing, Copy-writing, Editing, Proofreading, Ghostwriting, Website Publishing, Computer Based Training, Instructional Design, Stage Directing, Production Management, Lighting Design, Interactive Computer Animation, Office Management, and Event Planning|